Skandagiri is a beautiful hill located in the Nandi Hills region of Karnataka, India. It is also known as Kalavara Durga, is a beautiful hill located near Bangalore. Skandagiri is a popular trekking destination for adventure enthusiasts, nature lovers, and photographers.. The trek to Skandagiri is not very difficult, but it does require some physical fitness and stamina. The trek to Skandagiri takes you through a lush green forest, steep rocky terrain, and scenic viewpoints. In this article, we will provide you with a complete guide to Skandagiri trek, including how to reach there, the best time to visit, the difficulty level, and what to carry.
How to Reach Skandagiri Trek?
Skandagiri trek is located around 70 km from Bangalore city. The nearest town to Skandagiri is Chikkaballapur, which is around 8 km away. You can reach Chikkaballapur by bus or car from Bangalore. From Chikkaballapur, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach the trekking base camp.
The Best Time to Visit Skandagiri Trek
The best time to visit Skandagiri trek is from September to February. During this time, the weather is pleasant, and the skies are clear, providing a breathtaking view of the sunrise from the peak. However, it is essential to check the weather conditions before planning your trip to avoid any inconvenience.
PLACES TO VISIT :
Skandagiri trek is not only about the trekking experience, but also about the beautiful places that one can explore on the way. Here are some of the places to visit in Skandagiri trek:
Papagni Mutt is a temple located at the base of Skandagiri hill. It is a popular spot for tourists and trekkers to take a break and rest before starting the trek. The temple is dedicated to Lord Subramanya and is believed to have healing powers.
Nandi Hills is a popular tourist destination located about 25 km from Skandagiri. It is known for its scenic beauty and is a popular spot for picnics and weekend getaways.
Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple:
Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple is a beautiful temple located near Nandi Hills. It is believed to be one of the oldest temples in the region and is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
Skandagiri Fort is an ancient fort located on top of the Skandagiri hill. It was built during the 18th century by Tipu Sultan and was used as a strategic lookout point.
Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace:
Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace is a beautiful palace located about 60 km from Skandagiri. It was built during the 18th century and is a popular tourist destination. The palace is surrounded by lush vegetation and boasts lovely architecture.
Kolar Gold Fields:
Kolar Gold Fields is a historic town located about 40 km from Skandagiri. It is known for its gold mines and was once the largest gold producing region in India. The town has a rich history and is a must-visit place for history buffs.
Muddenahalli is a small village located near Nandi Hills. It is the birthplace of Sir M. Visvesvaraya, a renowned engineer and statesman. The village has a museum dedicated to Sir M. Visvesvaraya and is a popular spot for tourists.
What to Carry for Skandagiri Trek?
Carrying the right equipment and clothing is essential for a comfortable and safe trekking experience. Here is a list of essential things that you must carry for Skandagiri trek:
- Trekking Shoes – Wear comfortable and sturdy trekking shoes with good grip to avoid any slips and falls.
- Clothing – Wear light and breathable clothing, preferably in layers, as the temperature can fluctuate during the trek.
- Backpack – Carry a backpack with enough space to carry water, food, and other essentials.
- Water – Carry at least 2-3 liters of water per person to stay hydrated during the trek.
- Food – Carry some snacks and energy bars to keep yourself energized during the trek.
- First-Aid Kit – Carry a basic first-aid kit, including band-aids, antiseptic lotion, and pain relievers.
- Headlamp/Flashlight – Carry a headlamp or flashlight as there is no electricity on the trek route, and you might need
- Sunscreen and sunglasses- Apply sunscreen to protect your skin from the harsh sun and wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
Things to keep in mind:
- Carry only what you absolutely need to avoid carrying extra weight.
- Do not litter and carry all trash back to the base camp.
- There are some instructions given by trek guide are as follows:
- Do not stray from the marked trail.
- Do not attempt the trek during the monsoon season as the trail can get slippery and dangerous.
- Start the trek early in the morning to avoid trekking in the heat.
- Do not rush and take breaks when required.
- Do not stray from the group and do not go out on your own.
- Make sure do not consume alcohol or smoke during the trek.
- Respect the environment and do not harm any plants or animals.
The trek to Skandagiri usually starts early in the morning, around 4-5 am. The trek begins from the village of Kalavara Halli and takes around 4-5 hours to complete. The trail is well-marked and passes through dense forests, rocky terrain, and steep slopes. The trek offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape, including the Nandi Hills, Muddenahalli, and the city of Bangalore.
Skandagiri trek is a must-visit destination for all adventure enthusiasts and nature lovers. The Skandagiri hill is surrounded by lush greenery and is home to a variety of flora and fauna. Trekkers can also explore the ancient temples and historic forts that are located along the way. The trek to the summit of Skandagiri hill is challenging, but the stunning view from the top makes it all worth it. Overall, Skandagiri trek is a great way to disconnect from the chaos of city life and reconnect with nature. One will remember this encounter for the rest of their life.